So Kristin at Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten has included me in this game of tag going on and I thought it is Saturday I can blog about non- teacher related things right? So here is how it works first 12 things about myself
1. I never really had a nickname until college. My favorite is Yehhie or Yessie as that was my name for two years because my youngest cousin could not say my name.
2. I refuse to eat store bought maple syrup. I was lucky and grew up with a huge maple tree right off the porch and had parents who tapped the tree to make our own syrup. I have been ruined by this deliciousness.
3. I have a thing for quotes and have been collecting them since middle school. It doesn’t matter whether they are funny, inspiring, or just ring true with me. This is one of my favorites “It is only when we see people being ridiculous we realize how much we love them.” –Agatha Christie
4. I decided I wanted to be teacher when I was in first grade. It wasn’t until my second semester of college after trying other things that I realized my 6 year old self was right.
5. I really want a bulldog.
6. I studied abroad in Australia and had the greatest time thanks to the groups of girls I was with.
7. I own one pair of heels that I had to buy for my best friend’s wedding. I am not a shoe person.
8. My family is amazing! We even have our own celebrations like Winter Weekend, summer camping, and Cider Weekend just so we have more reasons to get together.
9. In the last two years I took up golfing. Oh my word… is it hard! I love the challenges it creates and find it is like teaching in many ways.
10. I am the only girl to attend my family’s guys only trout camp. My mom and aunts think I am crazy for spending days out in the woods fishing and camping with the guys but I LOVE everything about it.
11. I love doing crossword puzzles but have never finished one by myself. The day I do will be a huge celebration.
12. I hate proofreading!! It is my least favorite thing in the world to do. Why I majored in Language Arts and wrote papers all through college I will never understand. My sister has commented that my grammar and proofreading is so bad on some of my posts she wants to help me. So I am making a better effort, but it is hard…and boring. I can never share this with my students.
How do you relax after a stressful day/week?: Day I hit the gym or come home and just sit depending on the type of day. For the week- I head back home. It is interesting I live where I work but the rest of my life, family, and friends live three hours away so typically I make that trip most weekends for something as there is always something going on.
How many shoes do you own? I have never been a big shoe shopper. I own 13 pairs this includes sandals, workout shoes, boots, and dress shoes. This is my most recent shoe purchase. I cannot wait for it to get warmer so I can go for runs outside with these.
My guilty pleasure TV show is Say Yes to the Dress. That show just sucks me in. I never desire to have a dress like that or huge fiasco of dressing shopping like that but I LOVE watching others to do.
Favorite place to buy school supplies: Target! I love that store to buy anything really. Their dollar section is the best.
Favorite Pinterest board: Well once I get my pinterest situation fixed so I existed again my favorite board is need to try this…
Super easy dinner meal: Quesadilla. I just use up the left over vegetables, cheese, any meat, and open a can of refried beans. Oh and lots of salsa. Super good and fast!
Frustrations with blogging: Never having enough time for it. I would comment on so much more if I did.
The perfect unit/skill/topic from a blog: That would be how do revamp my workshop times. This is my current project and I have been getting many great ideas already. Thanks to those who have been sharing what they do.
Favorite thing to teach: This changes all the time. I love teaching science. I like teaching math more and more. I love read alouds and working on comprehensions, but need to improve my lessons. Writing workshop is fun because my students love it. Social studies is great because of all the projects our program has and how so much is tied into it. So I guess everything.
Funniest kid moment: My favorite by far was this conversation from last year. I went to grab my chapstick and this happened.
Student: “Is that chapstick?”
Me: “No. I don’t wear lipstick.”
Student (with a puzzled look on their face): “Well then how do you kiss your boyfriend?”
I tried so hard not to laugh but my goodness I still laugh about it.
Most played song on my iPod: “Down in the Valley” by The Head and the Heart go check them out here or here I saw them in concert in this summer and have been hooked to them ever since.
Who inspired you to be a teacher: Sue Pierce- she was my preschool and second grade teacher. I also was her aide for three years during high school. She really encouraged be to become a teacher during that time.
You're It... ( I am suppose to pick 12 new blog friends)
Kayla at Mrs. Not-Much-Taller-Than-A-Second-Grader. She is a fellow second year teacher and new to the blogging world. She has wonderful ideas and her blog is super cute.
Natalie at Teachery Tidbits. She is another second year teacher and a first grade teacher! She just created her first unit for her TpT store so you should check that out.
Miss Russell at Thoughts of A Student Teacher. She just started student teaching this week in first grade and loving it so far. Good check out her adventures.
Chelsea Rose at Blooming Into First Grade. She has a really great blog that you should check out!
Laura at Peace, Love, and First Grade. I know there is a pattern here with first grade teachers, but Laura is fantastic too! Her blog has some wonderful ideas for all.
Cait at Sliding into First. She is a new blogger too with great ideas for all. She even has a TpT store and TNbook. Go check here out!
Ashley at Live 2 Learn. I just started following her and she has a lot of great stuff going on. She has given many ideas about working on my organizing.
My twelve questions for Who I Tagged:
So in the last week I have made many new blogging friends
1.If you could meet anyone in the world, living or dead who would it be?
2. If you weren’t teaching what would you be doing?
3.What was your favorite thing about school when you were a student?
4. What do you wish you were better at?
5. What is your favorite store to shop at?
6.What is two things you need for your dream classroom?
7.Where do you want to travel to?
8.Favorite TV show?
9.What is your least favorite chores?
10.Would you rather be an actor, singer, or athlete?
11.Who or what inspires you?
12. What’s your favorite children’s book?
If you read this far you are amazing!! And totally working on your blogging butt as Reagan says. Didn’t know it would be this long.