Thursday, March 8

We Are Authors! Let's Celebrate!

First I must delay the rest of my post to give a HUGE shoutout to Erika over at The Honey Bunch for making my blog look so pretty and put together! She did an amazing job!! Thank you again!

Okay originally we were supposed to have our author celebration on Dr. Seuss's Birthday then snow happened...so like everything else lately it got pushed back a little. 

We finally finished our Authors as Mentors unit. If you have been reading previous writing posts you might remember that I changed it slightly and started the unit by adding Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco as our first book and main author. My students were SOO excited about what we were going to be doing in the unit and even interested in the fact a cake could have a tomato in it. 

During our author celebration, we pretended we were authors presenting our books to people who would want to read them or buy them. I introduced each student as "Now we have the author and illustrator _________" 

Then after all the sharing each student received this SWEET certificate. 
I have to say I am pretty proud of myself as I wrote the poem. I have a hard time doing those cutesy rhyme-y poems that actually make sense, but consider this a success. If you would like a copy click here or on the picture. The graphics are provided by scrappindoodles.com and The 3AM Teacher created by Michelle Tsvigadellis. 


Our Thunder Cake! Yummy! 

What is a celebration without cake? Am I right? So I made Thunder Cake for my students. It was a big hit! I didn't bring up the tomatoes, but they remembered they were supposed to be in there. I assured them I put them in there. Things that students were saying: "This is soooo good!" 
"The best cake ever!"
"You can't even taste the tomatoes."
"Wait...I see a tomato." (which they couldn't without a microscope because they were pureed). The fact it ties into our discussion of Green Eggs and Ham- where you have to try something first before you can say you don't like it was perfect! Love how things work out like that when they are not even planned. 

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I need that poem!!!!!! Except I wonder if you would tweak a couple of things so it would make sense for my classroom? I don't want you to feel obligated!!!!! Just let me know!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love your new look - when did that happen????

    {I'm a day late and a dollar short these days with blogging...}

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog! I switch up Authors and Mentors a little too. We're working on nonfiction now.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks great! Thank you for sharing the poem!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your new look! Cute! Thanks for the Sweet Certificate!

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the poem! I must be missing something? What is thunder cake?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your blog's new look! Thank you for sharing your poem!
    -Megan

    First Grade Magic

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making THunder Cake!! I do it when we do our Patricia Polacco author study :)
    The Teacher’s Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Darlin' - if you could change it to "green pen" instead of purple that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!

    I'm finishing up this unit within the next two weeks and would LOVE to give out this certificate.

    Thankful Hugs,
    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete