This week I had a wonderful surprise … A BRAND NEW PENCIL SHARPENER!!!
I ordered one from Troy (who happens to be a teacher) at Classroom Friendly Supplies and could not stop smiling when I saw the box sitting on my porch. It is the little things in life. As a side note, I splurged ...the $50 plus splurge...and got one of those big electric sharpener this year. During the last month it has started making funny sounds. This sounds are ones equivalent to what you hear on your car, but then pretend you do not hear hoping they go away and fix themselves because honestly the last place anyone wants to go is to the mechanic. It is right up there with the dentist in my book. Well no more ignoring them. Bye-bye expensive pencil sharpener.
Since I wasn’t at school, I looked around my apartment for pencils to sharpen. Oh my word, it is so nice to sharpen a pencil and not have it half eaten by the big bad pencil sharpener. Even better when the pencil is sharpened and the lead is not going to fall out at the first letter my students write. For the past few months, I didn’t know such pencils existed.
When I was first sharpening pencils I used it without the table clamp (mostly out of pure excitement). I just wanted to start sharpening. I am a fan of the table clamp it makes the sharpening go even smoother.
Then when I took it to school and finished sharpening pencils for the day I was equally amazed! I have on hand at least 30 plus pencils ready and sharpened for the day. Lately all those pencils barely last us until lunch. I also have a rule that students do not sharpen pencils throughout the day (you all know why…the huge long pencil sharpening line that only seems to grow once someone decides their pencil isn’t sharp enough or broken) which meant I was having to sharpen pencils during lunch time to ensure these would not happen. With the new beautiful blue sharpener that amount of pencils lasted us all day. Hooray!! I know is this not a bonus I should be advertising that is why it is written smaller, but my students have learned the tricks of my new one so it definitely stops the huge ever-growing pencil sharpening line. Plus the sharpener even with the clamp is easy to move so I can put it exactly where I need it.
| Effects of the old pencil sharpener. The pencils are a third of the size and still have their full erasers. Not the way it is suppose to go. :( |
| New pencil sharpener: look at those sharpen pencils. They are normal pencil size. Not eaten by the sharpener. :) |
I know we are teachers and get excited about gluesticks and plastic boxes, but seriously if you are looking for a better solution to your current pencil sharpening situation go check these sharpeners out. They are amazing!! Simple and do what pencil sharpeners are suppose to do: sharpen pencils! I have already shared with my fellow teachers with much interest. I don’t think having another one on hand would be a bad idea either. Also he even has how to videos on the website. Go check it out. Thank you Troy !
I LOVE mine!!
ReplyDeleteJennifer
First Grade Blue SKies
So jealous! I have seen this all over and want one so badly! However, I already have 2 electronic sharpeners in my class that still work, so I would feel totally wasteful if I spent money on another one. Maybe they will break soon, and I will feel justified? Ha! A girl can wish, right?
ReplyDeleteNatalie
TeacheryTidbits
Yeah maybe the funny sounds will start and you can justify getting it. :) So worth it!
DeleteI'm in the same boat as Natalie - my electric sharpener still works :( However, it is the only one on my end of the hall so it gets used by EVERYONE (I seriously have to track it down sometimes because it wanders away from my room) so if it breaks, I know where to go to replace it now!
ReplyDeleteJennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten
I so want to get one of these! I have heard nothing but rave reviews and for the price - there is simply nothing better. I need 2 actually, one for home and one for my class. When I get to 100 followers, I am planning on giving 1 away!
ReplyDeleteMrs Poland
Think, Wonder, & Teach
Definitely gotta check this pencil sharpener out. Quick question though. How do you keep your kiddos from chewing, poking, scrapping, etc. their pencils. I almost hate to touch my kiddos pencils. They are nasty looking... But your pictures shows them with erasers!!! I gotta know how you do it!!
ReplyDelete❀First Grade Delight❀
imgoingfirst@gmail.com
Will first I kinda cheat because it was a new box of pencils because I couldn't take looking at the old ones anymore. We discussed chewing at the beginning of the year and hasn't been an issue since. The only reason there are erasers is they are brand new. I also don't hand out the end cap erasers very easily because students just destroy them so students know not to waste erasers.
DeleteOkay. That does it. I'm going to order one right NOW! I have read too many things about this pencil sharpener for it not to be fabulous. Off to shop!
ReplyDelete-Megan
First Grade Magic
It is something I know you will enjoy! :)
DeleteOMG- he just sent us one of those this week too and we are loving it! I'm going to have my kids write some reviews this week so I can blog about them. It is just the best sharpener EVER!
ReplyDelete:)
Christina
Mrs. Bainbridge's Blog
I know they are amazing! What a great idea having your students write the reviews. You are so creative!
DeleteI've left you something lovely. I know that you already received it, but your sweet comments mean a lot to me so I thought that you deserved it again! Don't worry about picking 15 more bloggers, though!
ReplyDelete-Megan
First Grade Magic
I don't know how I missed this - but I had to put in my two cents about this piece of awesomeness.....LOVE LOVE LOVE this pencil sharpener. Oh my goodness....my kids do too!
ReplyDeleteHolly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade