Wednesday, June 13

This is How Our Garden Grows

So Friday was planting day. Not going to lie I have been looking forward to this day for awhile. After many trips to Home Depot and ACE Hardware we got everything we needed.

The planting process went way better than expected. We had students partner up and each set of partners got to plant a type of plant. We had at least 3 of each type of plant. All of our plants are native to Northern Michigan.


The full view. On the right where there is red mulch is where our bird area is.

The tiny pathway made out of rocks with all the students' initials.

After all the planting we had students put together their signs (because this is one thing they said we needed to have in our garden). Students put the signs where they belonged.

Close up of the students' signs




Then we took a break until the afternoon.

In the afternoon we tackled the rest of the projects. We watered the plants, set up the bird area, and evened out the plants around our school sign.

Students were so excited to show off their garden at the end of the day. I saw many students take their parents outside at the end of the day.

We have already had many birds visiting our bird feeder. Since the bird feeder is right out one of our windows I am already brainstorming ways to implement birds into our curriculum next year.

This has been an amazing project to be a part of and to watch students take ownership of the garden. So much of what we planned and did was because of things they learned about. They like Monkey Flower and Hairy Beard Tongue so we have both planted in our garden. They thought we need signs, so we have them. They wanted to have birds and insects come to our garden, so we have plants like Butterfly Milkweed, different varieties of sunflowers, a bird feeder and bird bath. I can't wait to expand on what we have created next year. Through our students' eyes, the possibilities are endless.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this awesome project with us! What a special event for you and your students!
    Lisa
    Fourth and Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great project! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    :) Dana
    Fun in 1st Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love this!! I wish a garden would grow here. It can teach students so many wonderful things!!

    Just stopped by to let you know that Heather IS having a book study on Conscious Discipline. It started on May 31 and there is only 1 post so far. I will posting again next week on the Intro and Chapter 1.

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to do a project like that with my class! They must've been so proud of themselves. :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful! I love the signs. We will have to do that in our garden! Thanks so much for sharing!
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    bakteach16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea!! It looks awesome...I especially love the signs~
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I just discovered your blog and am your newest follower. I have a new blog and would love for you to visit.

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea. I wish we had a garden. I don't have much of a green thumb, but I think my kids would really enjoy it. Did you already have this established at your school or was it something that you asked your principal to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time our school has had a garden. We started this project because we got a grant through some local organizations. This garden is just the beginning of what we can do with the grant. Can't wait to add on next year!
      Jessica

      Delete
  9. Love the garden labels! I am a new follower.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete