It has been a whirlwind at school and the rest of my life which is really just more school since I am working on my masters. I am starting to think that some days I think of myself as superwoman for what I signed myself for with these master classes and training for a triathlon. If you knew me outside of this blog this is totally not how I think of myself. Thankfully I am near the end of both. My triathlon is on Saturday. Hoping for good weather and no broken bones. (This is a story for another time.)
Back to school land, we are in the middle of a busy and I stress busy week. Here is a hint of what we are doing.
My fellow garden teacher and I went shopping with someone else's money for our garden. We realized we need to get better at spending money and get out of our teacher buying mode where we save wherever we can. I guess this is a good thing as we have a TON of money to add to our garden in the future! With our purchases we ran out of storage space so I am storing dirt behind my desk. At least my desk has another purpose. By the middle of the week I will have near 50 plants sitting outside my window. Friday is the day! Our big planting day. Boy, oh boy the students aka... native plant gardeners are excited to put the final pieces together.
This has been on pinterest and I know Natalie at Teachery Tidbits did this too. We have been doing a countdown each day with balloons in the classroom. We started counting down last week when we had 10 days left. I wanted to share our special days as some of mine are different.
So summer fever started setting in over two weeks ago. I came out with a huge roll of tickets and students had two days to earn as many tickets as they could for behavior, following directions, working hard, and helping out. We draw from those tickets each day to decide who is going to pop the balloon. It really has worked wonders.
So far we have had:
Sit Wherever You Want Day
Write with A Pen Day
Bubblegum Blowing Contest
Free Choice for All
Paper Airplane Contest
and our upcoming days:
Read Outside Day
Nature Scavenger Hunt
Extra Recess
Make Goop or Oobleck
Write on Your Desk Day - followed quickly by write with shaving cream.
I absolutely love this day! I totally play it up like I am going to get in trouble so they can't tell anyone I'm letting them get rid of the paper and write high frequency words on their desk. They think it is the greatest. Then we get the shaving cream out to clean up our writing. The best part is it is really a cleaning activity and they have no idea.
Hang in there these last 5 days!! Love that balloon activity! :)
ReplyDeleteLisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure
Sounds like your garden is really coming together!
ReplyDeleteEvery New Beginning
Very cute ideas for the balloons! Today was my first day out of school...hard to believe it's already here!
ReplyDeleteHaley
Following Optimism in 2nd Grade
Wow that is a lot going on at once! Good luck in your triathalon (I would say break a leg, but....) and in your classes. I don't know how you do it! :)
ReplyDeleteNotJustChild'sPlay