The Good:
- Rewards Binder- this was the first idea I got from a blog. I got it from Sarah at First Grader at Last and don't plan on ever returning to a treasure box.
- Book boxes and guided reading groups- I did not implement all of Daily 5 this year and plan to next year but this worked really well with my students.
- Mastering a Smart board. I am not the greatest at it, but I have done plenty of self teaching so I am able to create some basic games and lessons.
- Writing Workshop- with some slight adjustments spending most of the year on small moment stories was not as boring as it can be. Plus my students really improved in their writing.
- Adjustments were made to science units but I still have more adjusting to do to make the lessons more engaging.
- Guided reading groups- I made adjustments about halfway through the year with different assessments for each level and it has been working for everyone.
- Organizing- I had my room all set to go in August but due to the set up of the computer and Smartboard hook ups it had to change. So my computer area is mixed in with my calendar area. This leaves my desk just sitting there. That has got to go next year.
- Teaching Reading. I know what an awful thing to say as a first grade teacher, but I really struggle in teaching it with the program and curriculum given to me. So I have been implementing with many different ideas thanks to amazing blogs, Pinterest, and TpT.
Starting this blog and discovering Pinterest has added so much to my teaching- that should go under the good category.
Tania over at My Second Sense is having a 100 follower giveaway where she is giving a set of Mo Willems' pigeon books. Oh yes please!! Just don't let the pigeon join. The giveaway ends in a few hours so hop to it.

I agree with you- blogging & pinterest has been a lifesaver & made teaching & learning so much more exciting!!
ReplyDeleteLisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure
Organization is something I need to work on next year too! So thankful I have a summer to think about my classroom space, rather than just a week!
ReplyDeleteLisa
Stories From Second