Thursday, March 1

March Madness and Reading Goals for You


I have to confess March is one of my favorite months because of its madness. Bring it on! I fully embrace it! It’s got Dr. Seuss…who doesn’t love him and probably more importantly, for me anyway,… the NCAA basketball tournament!! Insert a huge smile. I have faithfully watched since I was in sixth grade. This has included missing school when I was in high school, middle school, and I even made sure to plan my college spring semesters around the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament so I could spend those afternoons and nights watching close to 12 hours of basketball. I know who does this right? I even recalled a time where I begged my dad to come pick me up from school to watch Michigan State play North Carolina State because they were playing Friday afternoon. He refused and Michigan State lost. For most high school girls, they are devastated by boys or fashion mishaps but not me. This was my devastation. But I have had to grow up… Insert a frown.

Last year marked the first year I did not get to start watching games at Thursday at noon and I officially felt grown up. It was totally a rite of passage and not a big fan at all. But you better believe I was at the gym on the treadmill right in front of the TV watching as soon as school was over as well as catching updates on my phone. I know I have a problem, but my friends and family love me anyway. :)  

To carry over my enthusiasm for the madness of March into the classroom I came up with this idea that ties in with March is Reading Month. I created basketballs for each student and plan on talking about goals. I have to say my first graders are very sports savvy. There have been many debates about who is better Michigan State or Michigan so I know tying this into basketball will grab the attention of some of my reluctant readers. I even created a goal for myself. We will be creating a class goal too and keeping track throughout the month. 

Here is the paper version. 

Here is the pipecleaner version. 

I tackled some issues with Powerpoint....I am still a learner and created a packet for you to make some for your classroom. Click here or on the picture. 


We are turning our school into a beach theme for March is Reading Month. We have some great events and activities planned so the countdown for Spring Break won’t take fooreevveer. Anyone else have a school wide theme?

In honor of this reading madness we are gaining some new member of our class.
Meet our newest members of our class: Zeke and Paws. 

Zeke and Paws getting prepared for a month with first graders!
My dear sweet friend bought these pillow pets for me with the intention of having me put them in my classroom. She knows me so well! I think they are so cute! In case you were wondering, Zeke is Zeke the Wonder Dog who is the highlight at every halftime at Michigan State University games as he catches frisbees. 
Happy March to all my wonderful followers!! You are simply amazing!

5 comments:

  1. Basketball's a great game! Love your "shooting to read" poster.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love the goals idea. Really smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool ideas!

    I am the same way except with college football!
    -Megan

    First Grade Magic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ideas! I think you have a lovely blog! Come on over to www.lightafire3.blogspot.com to pick up your One Lovely Blog award!

    ReplyDelete